At TLC, we recognize how much parents look forward to milestones like a child saying ‘mama’ or ‘dada,’ knowing her own name, expressing a desire to play, and participate in the social activity of singing happy birthday to friends. And we understand how discouraging it can be when a child isn’t meeting these milestones, like his or her peers. TLC’s skilled Speech Therapy clinicians are experts at optimizing a child’s speech and language development and at promoting confidence in parents’ and caregivers’ ability to encourage the development of a child’s speech and language skills.
TLC’s clinical expertise focuses on identifying and addressing the root cause of a child’s communication challenge. We believe that the early identification of any type of communication disorder is integral to the prevention of associated problems within literacy, cognition, and social relationships, and is fundamental for lifelong learning and well-being. Along with addressing the root cause, we work collaboratively with parents and caregivers to develop daily adaptive strategies to facilitate functional communication between caregiver and child and limit disruptions and maladaptive behaviors.
The ability to communicate effectively with others is the very foundation of a child’s social, emotional and educational development; and, research has shown that the first five years is the most critical period for growth. TLC is proud to offer clinical expertise and be your partner in creating a solid foundation for your child to blossom.
In optimizing a child’s communication health, we are also enhancing:
- Social-Emotional Development
- Educational Development
- Literacy Skills
- Lifelong Learning & Well-Being
- Social Skills Development
Licensed TLC Pediatric Language Pathologists are bilingual and proud to support families raising bilingual learners. As experts of communication health, we address a wide range of challenges, including but not limited to:
- Cognitive Communication Disorders: Challenges with reasoning, attention, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Social Communication Disorders: Communication challenges with the use of language in social contexts—encompassing social interaction, social cognition, pragmatics, and language processing
- Functional Speech Sound Disorders of Articulation and Phonology: Difficulty or combination of difficulties with the motor production of speech sounds and those related to the linguistic aspects of speech production
- Feeding and Swallowing: Feeding disorders are problems with a range of eating activities that may or may not include problems with swallowing (pediatric dysphagia)
- Organic Speech Sound Disorders: Disorders that include those resulting from motor/neurological disorders (childhood apraxia of speech and dysarthria), structural abnormalities (cleft lip/palate), and sensory/perceptual disorders (hearing impairment)
- Resonance Disorders: Speech resonance disorders – often hypernasality – resulting from too much or too little nasal and/or oral sound energy in the speech signal
If you think your child, or a child you know, would benefit from an evaluation for speech therapy services, complete step one of the TLC therapy process to receive a free consultation.
TLC’s clinical expertise supports the development of communication health of all children throughout Los Angeles, including bilingual learners. With foundational speech and language skills, children have greater opportunity to become strong students and optimize their own health.
Our daughter made astonishing progress over two years. From barely able to use single words appropriately to accurately expressing herself with five-word sentences. The clinicians maintained her focus and interest during sessions and were able to seamlessly transition between approaches to help maximize our time at TLC.
– Jody G. & Tom F.